Winter is back! Did you know the risk of exposure to CO is greater in the winter months?

Winter is back! Did you know the risk of exposure to CO is greater in the winter months?      

That’s because homes in Canada are usually heated by furnaces, fireplaces, gas stoves, and water heaters.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. It occurs when burning fuels like oil, coal, wood, gasoline, propane and natural gas.

Exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide include flu-like symptoms, such as:

  • tiredness
  • headaches
  • shortness of breath
  • muscle weakness
  • partial or total loss of function of a body part (limb or limbs)

Exposure to high levels, or exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide for long periods of time, can cause:

  • dizziness
  • chest pain
  • poor vision
  • difficulty thinking

Exposure to very high levels can cause:

  • convulsions
  • coma
  • death

It is time to ensure your fuel-burning appliances are well maintained and inspected by a professional.

Protect your family from carbon monoxide exposure with these tips.

You can also share this information directly from the Healthy Canadians Facebook page by clicking here.