Did you know that the new Canada’s Food Guide website offers a variety of tips for meal planning, as well as tasty healthy recipes?
The Food Guide many of us grew up with focused on food choices. But we now know that our eating habits are just as important to our health as the foods we choose.
The new Food Guide encourages Canadians to:
* cook more often,
* enjoy food,
* be mindful of eating habits, and
* eat meals with others.
Here are some tips that will help you eat better:
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, whole grain foods and protein foods. Choose protein foods that come from plants more often. Choose foods with healthy fats instead of saturated fat.
- Limit highly processed foods. If you choose these foods, eat them less often and in small amounts.
- Prepare meals and snacks using ingredients that have little to no added sodium, sugars or saturated fat.
- Choose healthier menu options when eating out.
- Make water your drink of choice.
- Use food labels.
- Be aware that food marketing can influence your choices.
The new Canada’s Food Guide and toolkit including several easy recipes, are now available at Canada.ca/FoodGuide