The education system in Quebec is unique in many ways. Language laws dictate who is eligible to attend school in English and who is not. Parents and newcomers may find it hard to navigate the school system. The session “School Registration and the English School System in Quebec” will feature a panel of professionals from Central Quebec School Board to help answer your questions.
This online event is for you, if you’ve ever wondered:
- Is my child eligible to attend school in English?
- When and how do we register for Kindergarten, elementary school and high school?
- What school(s) can my kids attend based on where I live? If I am willing to drive my kids to school can they attend a school in another sector of town?
- What are the options in terms of preschool, Pre-K, programme passe-partout, and before- and after-school daycare and how do we access them? What are the related costs? And what services are offered in each program?
- Grade names here differ from those elsewhere. What is meant by cycle 1 and 2 and sec. 1, 2, etc. ?
- Is it true parents of elementary students are often required to pay for noon-time surveillance if their children eat lunch at school? If so, how does that work and what does it cost?
- Why do we have to purchase so many supplies each fall for kids attending public school. Doesn’t the school board provide these supplies? Who will give me the list of what materials my child needs and when?
- I live on the south shore; when will there be an English elementary school on my side of the St-Lawrence?
- What is all the fuss about school boards being replaced by service centres? What impact will this have on my child’s education and our local English-speaking community?
- Québec schools seem to put a lot of emphasis on provincial exams; at what grade do these exams start? How does QCSB compare to other local boards in terms of exam results?
- What is the difference between Québec’s adult education and DEP programs and CEGEP? Can we access these programs in English in Québec City? How do we apply? What programs are available and are there any fees for them?
Click here to register and to get the Zoom info to access this session on your smart phone, tablet, computer, laptop or landline.
Questions? Please contact Jessica Price, our Family Matters program coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org