Did you know?
Ant colonies send out scouts to search for food. Ants are attracted to many types of food but they enjoy eating sugary and greasy foods like peanut butter or crumbs. A successful scout leaves a scented trail for other workers to follow back to the food source.
How can I get rid of ants?
- Store ant-attractive foods in glass jars with rubber gaskets, or in plastic containers with lids that snap tight.
- Rinse containers before putting them in the garbage or in recycling bins.
- Empty kitchen garbage containers often.
- Place composters at a reasonable distance from your house.
- Place pet food dishes in a shallow dish of water. Ants can’t swim, so they won’t be able to get at your pet’s food.
If you use a pesticide to control your pest problem, read the label to make sure you are choosing the right product for the right pest. Follow all label directions and warnings carefully. Always look for a Pest Control Products (PCP) number on the label so you know the product has been approved by Health Canada. See Use pesticides safely for more information on using pesticides safely.
For more information, visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/pest-control-tips/ants.html
You can also share this information directly from the Healthy Canadians Facebook page by clicking here.