252017Nov

Decorate safely!

Now that the first snow has fallen, many of us will start decorating for the holiday season. So don’t set your holidays ablaze! To spend happy holidays safely, here are some tips:

Holiday lights

– Avoid plugging too many lights and decorations into an outlet. Overloaded circuits can overheat and start a fire.
– Use lights that have the mark of an accredited certification agency such as CSA, cUL or cETL. Check the Healthy Canadians Recalls and Safety Alerts Database before buying or using lights to find out about the latest recalls.
Holiday trees

– When buying a real tree, make sure it’s fresh (you can tell if the needles are hard to pull off). Water the tree daily once you bring it indoors for decorating.
– Place the tree away from heating vents, radiators, stoves, fireplaces and burning candles.
– Keep metal, sharp or breakable tree ornaments with small removable parts away from young children.

Click here for more tips; and to share the post directly, visit the Healthy Canadians Facebook page.

Sharing is caring!